After delivery of a new International tank wagon in April 1948, the company decided to sell the old Studebaker tank wagon. Not being able to find a purchaser at the price we had set, we felt that it would be wise to start thinking about a building that would house the three pieces, as the 1000 gallons of extra water the old truck would haul might be of great value to the community. A Committee was appointed in the fall of 1948 to meet with the people of the town to see if they would support us in remodeling our old fire house. The committee for the new fire station consisted of members Bradford Lucas, Henry C. Bowen, W.F. Coursey, Walter Turner, Medford Kimbles, J.B.T. Merrick, Milton Barwick and Edwin Walbert. Having the consent of the people, we consulted a contractor for plans and estimates. Finding the old lot too small to house all the equipment and allow space for meeting and recreational facilities, it was decided to look for a new lot which would be adequate.
In the spring of 1949 another meeting was called with the people of the community asking if they would approve the project of building a new firehouse. Again getting their support, we purchased this lot from Mrs. Lulu Massey, the size of which is about 78′ x 200′. After considering several architectural plans, we visited other fire companies to see their buildings and to get their opinions as to whether their firehouses would be adequate to meet future needs, After many meetings of the building committee and thew drawing of several sets of plans, we finally decided on our present building. Plans were sent to four contractors and Church Hill Lumber Company, having submitted the lowest bid, was awarded the contract.
During the many months of planning, deciding on what we hope is the most advantageous type of building, and securing financial aid, Henry C. Bowen acted as our legal advisor and William H. Cronshaw as our advisor on construction. Ground was broken for this building in February 1950. During construction, all the cement blocks were hauled by the firemen and people of the community. In addition, our firemen donated their time and services in painting and various other jobs.
Dedication of the new fire station was held on a cold Saturday, November 11, 1950. Approximately 100 members of the community attended. The address was given by Judge J. DeWeese Carter. The invocation was led by Reverend L. Harold Hinrichs, rector of St. Luke’s Church and the benediction was given by Reverend Otho G. Brewer. Musical selections were by Johnny Short and his orchestra. A dance, attended by nearly 200 people, was held upstairs that Saturday night.
The officers in 1950 were as follows:
President Milton Barwick
Vice President Edwin Walbert
Secretary Arthur M. Green
Asst. Secretary Walter Turner
Treasurer Henry C. Bowen
Asst. Treasurer Wm. H. Larrimore
Fire Chief W.F. Coursey
Asst. Chief Edgar Walls
2nd Asst. Chief Ronald Lucas
A one bay addition was constructed in 1968 to house a newly purchased tractor trailer tanker. Over the years, the fire station received numerous upgrades and modifications to the interior to meet our growing needs. The quest for an expanded and modern fire station began in the late 1990’s, as we realized the need for additional space to accommodate the rapidly expanding needs of the company. Preliminary designs had two additional bays being added on to the small fire station. While that would have fulfilled the needs of the company at the time, we quickly came to the realization that further expansion and space would be required in order to meet our future service demands. In 2008, as a temporary solution to our space demands, a four-bay “pole barn” apparatus building was erected on our property behind our main fire station. Since then, this building has housed a pumper, tower ladder, brush truck and tanker.
The last significant renovation to the station was in 2014 when the interior was repainted, a new epoxy floor installed and a downstairs bathroom was remodeled.
In 2018, the culmination of years of discussions with architects and building engineers, the company made the decision to forego an addition or renovation to the current fire station, and alternatively, raze and construct a new building in its place. Many members gathered on April 28, 2019 to witness the demolition of the 69 year old fire station.